The Women of St. John’s is a unit of the Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and a part of the Muskingum Conference of the Southern Ohio Synod. All women who are members of St. John’s are automatically members.
The national organization’s purpose is: “As a community of women created in the image of God, called to discipleship in Jesus Christ and empowered by the Holy Spirit, we commit ourselves to grow in faith, affirm our gifts, support one another in our callings, engage in ministry and action, and promote healing and wholeness in the church, the society and the world.”
There is an active Circle that meets throughout the year. Our Circle meetings are a time of fellowship and Bible study. Our income is raised through offerings, various fundraisers and Thrivent matching funds.
We participate in a variety of projects that support and encourage those in our congregation, city and the world.
Our quilters would welcome anyone who likes to quilt or would like to learn to quilt. They meet on Wednesdays from 9 am to 2 pm and would welcome anyone to stop in for an hour or two. Bring your lunch and stay all day. If you are interested, talk with Barb Olney.
Some of the activities include:
- Care packages for college students
- Serving bereavement receptions and meals
- Lutheran World Relief collection of soap, sewing kits, health kits, layettes
- Quilts and school kits
- Contributing to the Klothes for Kids project in the Zanesville City Schools
- Clothes assistance for five Muskingum County Schools
- Caroling and delivering of poinsettias to several nursing homes and individual homes
- Valentines and cards to our home bound members
- Contributing to the Wall of Food/Amazing Grace Day Camp
- Caring for robes for the Acolytes and Crucifers
- Caring and changing of Altar Paraments
- Communion preparation and cleanup
- Extra cleaning in church kitchen and other cupboards and cabinets
- Collecting pennies to help our sisters in Tanzania who are victims of the Red Eye Affliction
- Deliver altar flowers
- Participate in the St. John’s Mission Festival
Thanks to all who, by the power of the Holy Spirit, spread the love of Christ to our Church and the Church worldwide!